Sunday, April 6, 2008

And What About The Victims?



I was looking through Minnesota's statutes on towing, and some stuff I saw led me to believe crime victims get a break under the state statute if their car is towed to an impound lot.

But I wonder how many victims know and utilize these exceptions and how easy it is within the uncaring and abusive non-consent towing system? What about PRIVATE impound lots? I'll have to write more about the state statute, and perhaps look into other states. This will be a time- consuming endeavor but I'm (shall we say?) DRIVEN.

This column tells the story of a bizarre hit-and-run in Dinkytown, near campus, or should I call it a hit-and-stagger? Judge for yourself, here's a link to the story.

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2008/02/11/72165477

Whenever I write something "gonzo," I title it "Fear and loathing..." after the master of gonzo journalism. My little homage and admission.

I took the photo of this damaged car the next day. It was shoved out into the street a bit, and I was worried it would get towed. The owner must have had a cow when he saw his car, parked safely and legally near his home.

Huh...actually, come to think of it, I talked to the guy by phone and he was indeed having a cow. Who wouldn't? Poor guy.

No comments: