Thursday, August 7, 2008

More On The So-Called "Pilfered Lobster" Towing Incident In Massachusetts


Flickr.com photo

First, and most importantly, finding another picture of a pretty girl with a lobster was no easy task...

...but I muddled through, somehow.

Reporter Jerry Russell was kind enough to email me and provide more information about the fate of the lobsters at the controversial towing incident described in my previous post. Russell mentioned "several previous articles," but unfortunately their newspaper engages in the vexing practice of "archiving" articles after 14 days and expecting people to pay money for copies. So I was only able to locate a bit of information--something about a restaurant being fined for having some of the salvaged lobster.

As far as my inability to pull up these old articles without paying money, it's clearly not Russell's fault, but this is one reason why the blogosphere is growing every day while more and more "dead tree based" publications are going under. The Star Tribune engages in a similar practice and I simply won't use their links, though I often wish I could.

In any case, here is what Russell told me:

"As to the question of the fate of the lobsters, some were allegedly sold to area restaurants. Some restaurants have returned them. [The] tow company operator alleged a "free-for-all" at the scene and accused rescue personnel of taking lobsters from the scene. A small number of lobsters were seized by state EPOs the day following the crash. They were released in Boston Harbor."

To this I say...released? These were LIVE lobsters? Then why was the cargo ordered destroyed because it wasn't refrigerated? How does LIVE SEAFOOD manage to SPOIL?

This only solidifies my opinion. Salvaging the cargo instead of destroying it was the morally right thing to do. Actually SELLING SOME OF THE CARGO TO A RESTAURANT crosses a line, and it's regrettable and shady, but were some of those lobsters simply given away to grateful folks? I have a strong feeling that happened.

The earth's resources--particularly living creatures--should not be lavishly wasted. This is one time I'm not going to--ha ha--CARP on the towing operator just because a bit of SEAFOOD was salvaged.

Next time, though...NEXT TIME it would be best to pay heed to the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donations Act, and act accordingly, by giving the food to a charity. Imagine what a day that would have been at the soup kitchen when all the live lobster showed up!

No comments: